The price of Bitcoin went on a massive rollercoaster ride in the past few minutes as the numbers for February’s Consumer Price Index got released.
- The market continues to be as tumultuous as ever. After skyrocketing from $39K to $42K and then plummeting back to $39K in less than 40 hours, BTC continues with its wild ride.
- The reason for the latest volatility is the monthly release of the Consumer Price Index numbers in the US.
- Every month on the 10th at 8:30 Eastern Time, the US Bureau of Labor Statistics releases the numbers for the CPI for the previous month.
- The CPI is a “measure of the average change over time in the prices paid by urban consumers for a market basket of consumer goods and services.”
- This has also become a very popular way to somewhat gauge inflation to a certain extent.
- For February, the number came at 7.9%, representing a 0.5% increase from January and up 6.4% over the last year. These are the highest numbers in decades.
- Bitcoin’s price didn’t fail to react. It first skyrocketed to $40.3K in minutes and dropped to $38,500 just as quickly. At the time of this writing, the price sits at $39K.
- Data from Coinglass revealed that the volatility resulted in over $44 million worth of liquidated positions in the past hour alone.
More from CryptoPotato
ETH Remains Rangebound as Uncertainty Looms (Ethereum Price Analysis)
Source Node: 1211255
Time Stamp: Mar 11, 2022
The Colombian President’s Advisor to Peter Schiff: Stop Talking and Short Bitcoin
Source Node: 911073
Time Stamp: Jun 9, 2021
Bitcoin Miner Stronghold Returns 26,200 Mining Rigs to NYDIG to Clear $67M Debt
Source Node: 1628069
Time Stamp: Aug 17, 2022
Was FBI’s Most Wanted ‘Cryptoqueen’ Brutally Murdered? (Report)
Source Node: 1979981
Time Stamp: Feb 26, 2023
Bitsgap Releases DCA Bot to Enhance Automated Crypto Trading
Source Node: 1291400
Time Stamp: May 4, 2022
DCG, Castle Island Ventures Lead $90 Million Round in a Crypto Security Firm
Source Node: 1585502
Time Stamp: Jul 20, 2022
BitMEX Arthur Hayes, Benjamin Delo Plead Guilty to Bank Secrecy Act Violations
Source Node: 1616293
Time Stamp: Feb 25, 2022
Bitcoin Price Analysis: BTC Saved At $30K Once Again, Possible Bullish Double Bottom?
Source Node: 946834
Time Stamp: Jun 27, 2021
Japan Blockchain Week 2023 Supported by Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry in Japan
Source Node: 2121245
Time Stamp: Jun 5, 2023
Cardano (ADA) Ranks Second in 24H Transaction Volume, Surpasses Ethereum and Litecoin
Source Node: 1614379
Time Stamp: Feb 22, 2022
Crypto Philanthropy is Expected to Hit $10B by 2032: Report
Source Node: 2044469
Time Stamp: Apr 2, 2023
Torum Partners with VR Metaverse, DreamVerse for Virtual Land and NFT IP Collaboration
Source Node: 1888529
Time Stamp: Mar 7, 2022